Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Response #3 - 9/17

Reflect on what you learned about creating community in your classroom from our visitor, Sylvia Allan.


I learned a LOT from Sylvia. She really opened my eyes and helped me to realize just how much influence I can have on my students and their futures and families. I couldn't believe how detailed each section of the morning meeting was, and how each section is detailed and calculated to complete certain tasks. I really like that it gives students a chance to express themselves, and find equal ground right at the beginning of the day. I love that students can find another family away from their families. Some children come from completely disfuncitonal and even scary backgrounds, and if anything, this morning meeting provides a sense of stability and security that they may not get from anywhere else. I love how she over-emphasized everything good that anyone said or did. I think that is an amazing tool to use in the class, and also helps to build students' confidence.

1 comment: